The Met Police say an anti-burglary campaign in Dagenham is reversing its reputation for being the worst place for break-ins.
It became a black-spot when the RM8 postcode including Dagenham, Becontree and Becontree Heath, was revealed as having the highest rate of burglary insurance claims.
But in 2014 reported burglaries in Dagenham have gone down by 27 percent.
Across the whole borough of Barking and Dagenham there’s been a reduction of 18 percent.
The Met Police argue this reduction has been achieved through a policy of partnership:
- Proactive patrolling by Safer Neighbourhood Officers and Local Authority officers;
- The Safer Homes Project delivered by Victim Support and commissioned by the council;
- Police immediately contact those addresses in the vicinity of burglaries for reassurance – this is termed as Super Cocooning techniques.
- The Street-a-Week campaign whereby local officers knock on every door in a particular street offering advice;
- Crime prevention roadshows.
Barking and Dagenham Borough now has a dedicated team of officers who investigate robberies and burglaries.
The team says it’s been highly effective in identifying offenders committing burglaries and bringing them to justice.
Superintendent Sean Wilson, from Barking and Dagenham Police, said:
I would like to reassure everyone that we are working very hard as a partnership to tackle burglary in the borough and will follow all leads to bring those offenders identified to justice.
Research carried out by price comparison site MoneySuperMarket indicates those living in and around the capital are most likely to suffer break-ins.
14 of the top 20 postcodes for burglary insurance claims are in London and Greater London.
7 are in the top 10:
- 1. RM8 – Dagenham, Becontree, Becontree Heath, in Greater London
- 2. IG2 – Gants Hill, Newbury Park, Alborough Hatch, in Greater London
- 5. E18 – Woodford and South Woodford, in London
- 6. RM11 – Hornchurch, Emerson Park, Ardleigh Green, in Greater London
- 7. TW11 – Teddington, Fulwell, Bushy Park, in Greater London
- 9. EN4 – Hadley Wood, Cockfosters, East Barnet, New Barnet, in Greater London
- 10. IG3 – Seven Kings, Goodmayes, Hainault, Chigwell, in Greater London