Five years for Harrow man for causing death by dangerous driving
A man whose dangerous driving resulted in the death of his girlfriend has been jailed for over five years.
32 year old Carl Morris from Priest Park Avenue, Harrow pleaded guilty to causing the death of his girlfriend, 31-year-old Faye Norris, by dangerous driving and was sentenced to five years and eight months imprisonment at Harrow Crown Court on Friday, 10th April.
On 27th December 2014, a Vauxhall Corsa being driven by Morris lost control in Eastcote Lane, Harrow and collided with five parked cars.
Despite there being a 30mph speed limit on this stretch of road, the court heard the estimated speed of the car was between 60-65mph.
Faye Norris was the front seat passenger in the car and she died in hospital on 3rd January 2015 as a result of the injuries she suffered in collision.
The court heard how Morris was disqualified from driving at the time of the collision.
Detective Sergeant Stephen Pidgeon, said:
Morris’s reckless and dangerous driving has cost the life of an innocent woman.
The devastating impact Morris’s actions have had on Faye’s friends, family and especially her nine-year-old child are difficult to imagine. But this is a stark reminder of the consequences that driving at excessive speed can have.
Renewed witness appeal in abduction and torture by pliers and ‘corrosive liquid’ of 20 year old student
The investigation into an incident in which a student had a corrosive liquid thrown into his face continues.
Detectives from the Trident Gang Command are renewing their appeals for information and are urging any witnesses to come forward.
The family of 20 year old Greenwich University student Motaz Zaid told the Evening Standard he was kidnapped in Parsons Green, Fulham, sprayed with ammonia, and tortured with pliers in revenge for a minor car accident.
He was dumped seriously injured from a Mercedes car in Beverley Way, Kingston.
He’s in a stable condition in hospital and under police guard.
Detective Sergeant Paul Buckley of the Trident Gang Command said:
At this early stage in our enquiries we are exploring a number of possible lines of enquiry as to what the motive for this particularly nasty crime could be:
I would like to reiterate our appeals for witnesses and information and would reassure anyone concerned about contacting the police that they will be treated with the utmost sensitivity.
Anyone with information is asked to call Trident Gang Crime Command on 020 8785 8580, or to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Pensioner charged with murdering wife in Shoreditch
68 year old Dempsey Nibbs has been charged with murdering his 60 year old wife, Judith at their home address in Shoreditch a year ago.
Mrs Nibbs was found death at Vince Court, Charles Square, N1 on April 11th last year.
She’d worked for Hackney Council delivering Meals on Wheels to the elderly and vulnerable for six years
He appeared in custody at Thames Magistrates’ Court for remand to the Crown Court.
Landlord of Central London pub jailed for 9 years for rape
The landlord of a central London pub has been jailed for raping a man who fell asleep in his bar.
56 year old John Michael Coyne, 56, the landlord of the Prince of Wales pub in Harrow Road, W9 was sentenced to nine years on Monday 13th April by a judge at Blackfriars Crown Court.
He’d been found guilty at an earlier hearing.
His offences were committed against a 25-year-old victim in the early hours of Sunday 13th October 2014.
The conviction follows an investigation by detectives from the Sexual Offences, Exploitation and Child Abuse Command.
Detective Constable Neil Hume, the officer in the case, said following the sentencing:
Coyne abused his position as a landlord of a pub to take advantage of an unconscious customer and showed no remorse. I would applaud the victim’s bravery attending court and hope that the sentence sends out a clear message.
Detective Inspector Neil Smithson, the senior investigating officer, added:
The Metropolitan Police are committed to prosecuting sexual offenders. Coyne preyed on an unconscious customer whilst in his own pub and I would encourage anyone who believes they may have been a victim at the hands of Coyne to come forward.
£79,000 in cash confiscated as proceeds of crime following police stop
Two men stopped by Met Police officers targeting uninsured vehicles have been ordered by the court to forfeit currency worth around £79,000.
As part of Operation Cubo on 7th May 2013, officers from Westminster Safer Transport Team were at a roadside checkpoint at Ecclestone Square, SW1.
They stopped a Vauxhall Insignia containing two Polish men-46 year old Wladyslaw Lakatus, and 27 year old Krystian Mendyk.
Mendyk ran from the vehicle pursued by officers on foot and after a short chase he was caught and arrested.
On searching the car, police found £62,800 in sterling and 22,420 in Euros.
A further £3,000 was discovered after a search at Lakatus’s home as well as a wallet containing bank cards and correspondence not in either of the men’s names.
On 7th April at Westminster Magistrates’ Court, police were successful in proving that the money seized was obtained from the proceeds of crime.
The court made a confiscation order.
Chief Inspector Colin Carswell, Roads and Transport Policing Command, said:
Our role is safeguarding the travelling public. Our officers regularly carry out operations such as Cubo which deliver not only a key contribution to London’s roads safety, but also assist in preventing criminals using the road network.