London Fire Bridge has released warnings about the dangers of leaving garden waste to burn unsupervised, after a garden blaze in Richmond yesterday destroyed fence panels and damaged a shed.
Firefighters were called by a builder working nearby who saw the flames.
Fire crews from Kingston and Feltham stations attended the scene.
The occupant had suffered serious burns after noticing that the fire had got out of control and trying to extinguish it with a garden hose.
He was taken to hospital by London Ambulance crews for further treatment.
London Fire Brigade spokesperson said:
Never leave bonfires to burn unattended and always keep them away from sheds and fences. It is also vital that you never try and tackle fires as seen in this case that they can cause injuries. Stay well away from the fire and call 999 right away.
The London Fire Brigade has offered guidelines for safely managing garden bonfires:
• Build your bonfire well clear of buildings, garden sheds, fences and hedges.
• Never use flammable liquids to start a bonfire and never burn dangerous items such as aerosol cans, paint tins, foam furniture or batteries.
• Don’t leave bonfires unattended. An adult should supervise it until it has burnt out. If it has to be left, damp it down with plenty of water.
• Always keep a bucket of water or a hosepipe nearby in case of fire.
More information and tips on bonfires and fireworks can be found here.
Leave a Reply