An unattended bonfire is believed to have been the cause of a severe blaze which damaged two homes on Princess Road in Selhurst yesterday afternoon.
The fire started in the garden of one property and spread to the house, badly damaging the ground and first floor.
A man from one of the homes was unhurt by the blaze.
The fire also damaged an adjoining house causing less but still substantial damage to the ground and first floor.
An elderly woman fell while evacuating and was treated as a precaution by London Ambulance Service crews.
London Fire Brigade spokesperson said:
When crews arrived they were faced with an intense fire which was affecting two properties. Firefighters saved two dogs and around 15 snakes who were in the house at the time of the fire.
If you’re having a bonfire at this time of year make sure you never leave it unattended and always keep it away from your home, sheds or fences.
The Brigade was called at around half one in the afternoon and the fire was under control by 3 o’clock.
Fire crews from Croydon and Norbury fire stations were at the scene.