Crime & the Law

Two men convicted of the murder of 18 year old David Maxwell in Southwark

David Maxwell murderers were found guilty at Old Bailey. Image: Met Police

David Maxwell murderers were found guilty at Old Bailey. Image: Met Police

Two men have been convicted of murder after they stalked a teenager down the street and stabbed him in the back.

20 year old Ronnie Atuqiya from Dagenham and 18 year old Chudi Hengari-Ajufo, who has no fixed address, were found guilty at the Old Bailey, Monday 18th of May, of killing David Maxwell, who was also 18.

Investigating officer Detective Inspector Nathan Eason, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said:

This was a brutal and vicious attack in broad daylight on a teenager just walking down the street.

Atuqiya and Hengari-Ajufo stalked David and his friend through the local area before striking. Atuqiya was carrying at least one knife – he and his associate clearly intended to cause David very serious harm that day.

It remains unclear what the motive for this attack was but I am pleased at today’s convictions.

On Friday, 31st of October last year at around half two in the afternoon, David was walking along Pilgrimage Street towards Long Lane, Southwark, with a friend when he was approached by two men from behind.

One pulled out a knife and stabbed David in the back and shoulder.

David, who lived in a hostel in Borough Road, stumbled forward and collapsed on the pavement.

The two suspects then ran off in the opposite direction.

Passing members of the public tried to help David and London’s Air Ambulance was called.

However, he died at just after 3pm at the scene.

A post-mortem examination found one of the stab wounds had pierced his heart.

Several witnesses saw the attack and identified a man with the street name of “Billz” as the suspect holding the weapon.

Billz was quickly identified as Ronnie Atuqiya and he was arrested at his home on 3rd of November.

Clothing matching that worn by the suspect on the day of the murder was found in his bedroom.

Mobile phone analysis pinpointed Atuqiya at the scene of the murder and then moving away from the area towards Chudi Hengari-Ajufo mother’s address in Belvedere Buildings, SE1.

Hengari-Ajufo was arrested on 13th of November.

His mobile phone records again put him at the murder scene at the right time.

Examination of CCTV footage showed the suspects together at the time of the murder in the area and following David and his friend.

The murder itself was not caught on camera but footage immediately afterwards showed Atuqiya and Hengari-Ajufo running at speed from the scene.

Both men were subsequently charged with murder.

Sentencing takes place on Friday, 3rd July.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s