Fire investigators believe a shop fire on Hornsey Road in Upper Holloway had been caused by the careless disposal of cigarettes into a wheelie bin.
The London Fire Brigade have tweeted on their social media account: ‘What a wheelie daft thing to do – chucked away cigarette caused shop fire.’
The blaze is believed to have started in a commercial wheelie bin outside the shop, spread to a large van and subsequently into the shop itself.
As reported previously on Londonmultimedianews this was badly damaged by the blaze.
LFB said: ‘Fortunately, no one was injured.’
A spokesperson added:
It appears that cigarettes carelessly disposed of into a wheelie bin were to blame for the blaze. It’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.
Six fire engines and 35 firefighters and officers from Hornsey, Holloway, West Hampstead, Euston, Tottenham and Islington fire stations attended the incident.
The Brigade was called at 2.54 pm and the fire was under control by 4.12 pm.
Leave a Reply