Piegate: Wayne Shaw resigns
Wayne Shaw, the reserve goalkeeper for National League side Sutton United, has resigned.
The news comes amid speculation that he may have broken FA regulations on betting.
A betting service by The Sun offered odds of 8-1 for him to eat a pie on television during the club’s FA Cup game against Arsenal on Monday.
Shaw ate a pasty on the bench in the 82nd minute, once all three of Sutton’s substitutes had been used.
It is yet to be determined if anyone benefited from the offer.
Ryan Sidebottom calls time on 20-year career
The former international cricketer Ryan Sidebottom has announced his retirement at the age of 39.
Part of the England team that won the ICC World Twenty20 title in 2010, he holds five County Championship titles, and has taken over 1000 test wickets in a career lasting 20 years.
In his retirement, he’s said he will focus on helping underprivileged children in Yorkshire in Leeds learn the sport, through his charitable foundation.
Busy Day – I just announced my retirement ! Playing ’til the end of the season , love this game an my county #Yorkshire #EndofanEra
— Ryan Sidebottom (@RyanSidebottom) February 22, 2017
City overcome Monaco despite shaky defence
The best images as the players celebrate an emotional and very special win at the Etihad!
Gallery 📸: https://t.co/RoAC2BHHze #cityvmonaco pic.twitter.com/ykIQmakYFF
— Manchester City (@ManCity) February 21, 2017
Sergio Aguero disputes a penalty following a trip by Monaco goalkeeper Danijel Subašić
Eight goals were scored at the Etihad yesterday evening, with Manchester City taking a win into their next round of 16 tie with a 5-3 victory over AS Monaco.
Former Manchester United striker Radamel Falcao helped give the visitors a 2-1 lead, before City defender John Stones cancelled out a mistake at the other end to put his side 4-3 up.
Leroy Sane added a fifth.
Elsewhere, Athletico Madrid claimed a 4-2 away win over Bayer Leverkusen.
Tonight, struggling Leicester City face Sevilla at the King Power Stadium.
Mayweather vs McGregor conjecture continues
Boxer Canelo Alvarez has labelled a potential fight between Floyd Mayweather and UFC Champion Conor McGregor as a ‘joke.’
Fue un honor para mí el haber tenido la primera conferencia de prensa en México. #CaneloChavez 🇲🇽 pic.twitter.com/8R7Tjb5RWC
— Canelo Alvarez (@Canelo) February 22, 2017
Alvarez’s only defeat in 50 professional bouts was to Mayweather, and has labelled the potential match as a ‘businessman’s match’ in an interview with Reuters.
Trainer Freddie Roach has previously offered to train McGregor, who has the highest draw in MMA pay-per-view purchases in the world.
He obtained a professional boxing license in California late last year.
Mayweather, who served 90 days in jail for battery in 2011, has previously said a fight between the two men is possible if his pay is high enough, requesting a ‘payday of $100 million.’
Leave a Reply