Man dies after stabbing in Harlesden
The 21 year old man was stabbed last night on Harlesden High Street in North West London at around 9pm.
After seeking help in a betting shop on the high street, he was taken to hospital and pronounced dead in the early hours of this morning.
It is thought that he was attacked by a group of men, and so far seven arrests have been made in connection with the incident after a recent surge of knife crime in the capital.
A spokesperson from the Metropolitan Police has said that although the men remain in custody, they can’t comment on what they are being held on suspicion of.
There have been four stabbings in London since Tuesday afternoon, and 25 people stabbed to death in the capital so far this year.
Theresa May approves Huawei despite Tory concerns
Whitehall sources confirm that technology and communications giant Huawei has been given the nod by the Prime Minister to build what it calls some ‘non-core’ parts of the UK’s new 5G mobile network.
The decision is controversial within the Five Eyes alliance of UK, US, Australian, New Zealand and Canadian intelligence agencies, who have argued that Huawei’s involvement in developing the networks introduces risk of espionage.
It’s also caused tension at at home within parliament, with chairman of the foreign affairs select committee, Tom Tugendhat, saying on Twitter that it introduces a security risk.
Allowing Huawei into the UK’s 5G infrastructure would cause allies to doubt our ability to keep data secure and erode the trust essential to #FiveEyes cooperation. There’s a reason others have said no. https://t.co/GA7DaooupI
— Tom Tugendhat (@TomTugendhat) April 24, 2019
There is a hesitation towards the Chinese technology company, who have been accused by US intelligence of being funded by Chinese state security, as the networking technology could potentially facilitate spying, which was in fact what one of their former employees was detained for earlier this year.
However, the prime minister’s decision does have some backing to it, as head of the UK’s National Cyber Security Centre points out that Huawei has had a presence in the country for 15 years, and is already making improvements to the security of their systems at the request of the UK.
Ann Widdecombe to stand for Brexit Party
Anne Widdecombe at the 2012 Conservative Party Conference
Ann Widdecombe, a former member of parliament for the Conservative party, has announced her plans to return to politics.
She retired in 2010, having previously served as shadow Home Secretary, but remained in the public eye since, as a vocal backer of the campaign to leave the EU and also appearing on reality TV shows like Strictly Come Dancing.
Ms Widdecombe intends to stand for the Brexit Party at the upcoming European elections, saying she is doing so out of ‘total frustration’ and wants to show Parliament they need to ‘get on with it’ when it comes to fulfilling Brexit.
Brexit party MEP candidates at a candidate launch event
She has said that although she would still vote Conservative in local elections, she feels that Britain is an ‘international laughing stock’ and that wins for the Brexit Party in the European elections would ‘make MPs rethink what they are doing’.
The Brexit Party is a new, Eurosceptic party lead by former UKIP leader Nigel Farage, that aims to attract support from both Labour and Conservative voters.
Norfolk charity shop grenade scare
A charity shop in Old Catton, Norfolk, along with neighbouring businesses including a busy Morrisons, had to be sealed off when an employee found a suspicious item.
Just before 9am, staff alerted police to a donation to the Mencap charity shop which caused worry.
A police spokesperson says she does not believe the donation was ‘malicious’, but concerns arose that it did contain a live grenade.
Shops and the surrounding area were sealed off when the Army’s Explosive Ordinance Disposal team arrived at around midday to inspect the donation.
— Zak Nelson #22 (@ncfcatwembley) April 24, 2019
Fortunately the authorities gave the all-clear around half an hour later, and the shops have been reopened.
Maurizio Sarri charged after Burnley game
Sarri is sent off during Premier League match
Chelsea’s manager Maurizio Sarri has been formally charged with misconduct by the Football Association after a game against Burnley on Monday where the team drew 2-2.
At the end of an already tense game, including an altercation on the pitch between players David Luiz and Ashley Barnes, Sarri was sent to the stands by the referee.
Assistant coach Gianfranco Zola says that Sarri was offended by some of Burnley’s staff, who reportedly used colourful language towards the Chelsea boss.
Zola gave comment in Sarri’s absence
Sarri did not take part in the post-match media conference, however Zola commented on the incident, saying ‘I think there will be a follow-up on that. Maurizio felt very unhappy’.
Now that he has been formally charged, Sarri has until 6pm on Friday to respond to the Football Association, and his team will next play against Manchester United on Sunday.